(Remerciements à Caroline Damour et Maurice Hours de l'Unicef pour cette
Health Specialist (Supply Management), P-4, Dakar, Senegal
Vacancy No: E-VN-2014-002853
Duty Station: Dakar
Job Level: P-4
Application Close: 04-Dec-14
Contract Type: Long-term Staff (FT)
Purpose of the Position
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Health System Advisor, the
health specialist Supply Management is responsible for the area of Health
Procurement and Supply Management Systems within the health and Child
Survival sections at Regional level. The incumbent is to supports and
advises the Regional health and Communication for Child Survival and
Development (CSD) team, the Country Offices and Governments in developing
policies, strategies, programmes and systems for the designated areas of
responsibilities. S/he will help facilitate application, adaptation and
achievement of UNICEF global and regional goals, policies, and strategies
in the area of Procurement and Supply Management Systems (PSM). Provides
UNICEF Health programmes with innovative leadership including expert
advice, vision, knowledge management with exchange on PSM programs in the
region, articulating policies and strategies, situation appraisal,
harmonization of programme strategy, capacity building, support for
monitoring and evaluation, representation and networking. Lastly, the
incumbent will coordinate with other sections of WCAR for synergies in
Nutrition, HIV, WASH and Supply. Builds strong partnerships such as HHA,
ACAME, GFTAM, GAVI, research institutions, JURTA, etc.
Key Expected Results
1. Provide guidance, coordination and initiatives in policy and strategy
development of regional UNICEF programmes in the field of competence.
Advise and support the Regional advisors, country offices and government
counterpart on strategy, policy, and advocacy in relation to national
Supply and Procurement Systems (PSM) for Health and CSD. Submit
recommendations and position papers for use in the development of UNICEF
global/regional programme policy. Contribute to the formulation,
refinement, adaptation, articulation and communication of UNICEF's
regional programme strategies, priorities and approaches.
2. Facilitate harmonization of regional and country strategies and
approaches in the achievement of programme goals in relation to the
development of national Procurement and Supply Systems. Guide and support
on cross-cutting interventions, working with counterparts and team members
to establish overall programme plan, monitor compliance and performance
standards and ensure coordination of activities, information and
experience to achieve programme objectives. Provide policy guidance and
technical support to national partners toward the development of national
policy/strategies for UNICEF-assisted programmes
3. Contributes and manages knowledge generation and exchange on National
PSM programs in the region. Coordinates with other sections of WCAR for
synergies in Nutrition, HIV, WASH and Supply. Actively contribute to the
learning activities of the COPs (Communities of Practice) and organize the
facilitation of the e-med CoP.
4. Upgrade the capacity of key counterpart staff, as well as UNICEF
Regional and Country Office staff, in his/her area of expertise (PSM)
including through provision of high quality consultants. Provide technical
inputs for capacity development of UNICEF staff in country offices and,
upon Country Offices' request, of their partners including the Central
Medical Stores and the pharmaceutical issues. Remain current in related
fields to ensure an integrated approach toward health related post-MDGs.
5. Enhance the financial resources available for National PSM activities
in the region, by advising on leveraging with Governments and donors as
GFTAM, GAVI, RMNCH fund, WB, AfDB, Bilaterals, supporting country offices
on the preparation of project proposals and, in close consultation with
PFO, coordinating with regionally active donors.
6. Represent WCARO and advocate for UNICEF in meetings with high level and
senior government officials, agencies, NGOs, and donors. Contribute to
better consultative processes and networking with donors and UN Partners
involved in the National PSM systems. Participate in the inter-agency
meetings. Represents WCARO in regional and country-level conferences and
meetings concerning access to essential Health, HIV and child survival
7. Play a key role in the PSM Partnership such as HHA, GFTAM, GAVI, ACAME,
multilateral banks, research institutions, etc. Build strategic alliances
with various international and regional partners, national associations,
entrepreneurs, academics, religious organizations and NGOs. Establish
institutional links with UN agencies and other relevant entities to
improve PSM systems. Strengthen collaboration with other UNICEF Regional
Offices, HQ and SD-CPH for cross fertilization and with the UN Agencies
partners of PSM.
8. Undertakes CO visits to provide advice, monitor PSM inputs and proposes
actions on improving National pharmaceutical PSM Systems. Prepares trip
reports for the head-of-office.
9. Develop and maintain databases on country/regional information crucial
for the planning and implementation of National PSM related plans. Lead
and/or participate in needs assessment mission in conjunction with HQ/SD
Divisions and field staff. Support funding appeals in consultation with
the country office and HQ.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced university degree in Pharmacy, Public Helath or a related
- Eight years of progressively responsible relevant work experience at the
national and/or international levels in procurement and national
supply/logistics system management. Four years of which should be in
- Fluency in English and French. Knowledge of the local working language
of the duty station would be an asset.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Communicates effectively to varied audiences, including during formal
- Sets high standards for quality of work and consistently achieves
- Able to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Has good leadership and supervisory skills; co-ordinates group
activities, ensuring that roles within the team are clear.
- Translates strategic direction into plans and objectives.
- Analyzes and integrates diverse and complex quantitative and qualitative
data from a wide range of sources.
- Quickly builds rapport with individuals and groups; maintains an
effective network of individuals across organizational departments.
- Identifies urgent and potentially difficult decisions and acts on them
promptly; initiates and generates team- and department-wide activities.
- Demonstrates, applies and shares expert technical knowledge across the
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and
encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national,
religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with
disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.