e-med

[e-med] Roche envisagerait de réduire le prix de deux de ses anticancéreux en Inde

[Remerciements à CR pour le résumé en français.CB]

Selon un article du Guardian (R.U.), daté du 23 mars, en Inde, Roche
envisagerait de réduire de façon significative le prix de deux anticancéreux de
sa gamme : Herceptin° (cancer du sein) et MabThera° (cancer du sang et du
système lymphatiques). Le prix grossiste mensuel de Herceptin° en Inde est de
3.000 $ US et celui de MabThera° est de 4.500 $ US.

Roche se défend de prendre cette mesure à la suite de la condamnation de
Bayer qui ne voulait pas abaisser le prix de Nexavar, son produit contre le
cancer du rein.

Plus globalement, cette décision relance la discussion sur la possibilité de
voir les prix des produits vitaux réduits pour les pays les plus pauvres
pour en faciliter l'accès par les patients.

**************

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/mar/23/roche-discounted-cancer-drugs
-india

Roche to offer discounted cancer drugs in India: Roche, the world's biggest
maker of cancer drugs, said it would offer 'significantly'
cheaper, locally branded versions of its two cancer drugs Herceptin and
MabThera by early next year

Julia Kollewe
guardian.co.uk, Friday 23 March 2012 10.57 EDT

Swiss drugmaker Roche plans to offer cut-price versions of two blockbuster
cancer drugs for the Indian market soon.

The news comes after the Indian government stripped the German drugmaker
Bayer of exclusive rights to produce the kidney cancer drug Nexavar earlier
this month, and licensed a local company to make a cheap, generic version,
arguing that many Indians could not otherwise afford the life-saving drug.

Roche, the world's biggest maker of cancer drugs, said it would offer
"significantly" cheaper, locally branded versions of its two cancer drugs
Herceptin and MabThera towards the end of the year or in 2013.
They will be renamed and packaged by Roche's Indian partner Emcure
Pharmaceuticals.

"The scope is to enable access for a large majority of patients who
currently pay out of pocket as well as to partner with the government to
enable increased access to our products for people in need," said a Roche
spokesman.

Monthly doses of Herceptin, for breast cancer, and MabThera, for cancers of
the blood and lymphatic system, cost between $3,000
(?1,889) and $4,500 per patient at wholesale prices.

The spokesman added: "With this strategy, we expect to significantly
increase the number of patients treated with our therapies and help patients
currently under treatment to continue to use our products properly."

He denied that the move was prompted by the Bayer case. "Rather it is part
of our overall strategy in emerging markets, where we work closely with
governments and payers in order to enable access to our medicines," he said.
For example, working with the Egyptian health authorities Roche introduced a
second brand of its HCV medicine Pegasys in Egypt that was packaged locally.
"This allowed for differential pricing, with the local brand available at a
significantly reduced price enabling greater access to those in need.
We are considering this approach as part of our strategy for various
emerging markets."

Roche's decision will reignite the debate over whether prices for
life-saving medicines should be cut in poorer countries. Several drugmakers,
including GlaxoSmithKline, have already slashed their prices for HIV/Aids
drugs in Africa, as well as some middle-income countries elsewhere. However,
there are fears that a proposed free trade agreement between the EU and
India, which could be signed by the autumn, could spell the end of cheap
drugs for the developing world.