e-lek

[e-lek] Fwd: [e-drug] 27 generic manufacturers sign sublicence agreements for molnupiravir

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Sophie Thievenaz <sthievenaz@medicinespatentpool.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 at 01:20
Subject: [e-drug] 27 generic manufacturers sign sublicence agreements for
molnupiravir
To: e-drug@healthnet.org <e-drug@healthnet.org>

E-DRUG: 27 generic manufacturers sign sublicence agreements for molnupiravir

Dear colleagues,

I am pleased to let you know that today we announced the signing of
sublicensing agreements with 27 generic manufacturers for the manufacturing
of the oral COVID-19 antiviral medication molnupiravir and supply in 105
low- and-middle-income countries.

Here is our statement as published on our website:
https://medicinespatentpool.org/news-publications-post/27-generic-manufacturers-sign-agreements-with-mpp-to-produce-molnupiravir

Geneva - The Medicines Patent Pool (MPP) announced today that it has signed
agreements with 27 generic manufacturing companies for the manufacturing of
the oral COVID-19 antiviral medication molnupiravir and supply in 105 low-
and-middle-income countries (LMICs). The sublicence agreements are the
result of the voluntary licensing agreement signed by MPP and MSD, a trade
name of Merck & Co., Inc, Kenilworth, NJ, USA, in October 2021 to
facilitate affordable global access for molnupiravir, that MSD is
developing in partnership with Ridgeback Biotherapeutics.

The non-exclusive sublicences allow generic manufacturers to produce the
raw ingredients for molnupiravir and/or the finished drug itself. The
companies that were offered the sublicence successfully demonstrated their
ability to meet MPP?s requirements related to production capacity,
regulatory compliance, and the ability to meet international standards for
quality-assured medicines. Five companies will focus on producing the raw
ingredients, 13 companies will produce both raw ingredient and the finished
drug and 9 companies will produce the finished drug. The companies span 11
countries, Bangladesh, China, Egypt/Jordan, India, Indonesia, Kenya,
Pakistan, South Africa, South Korea, and Vietnam.

While MSD negotiated an agreement with MPP that establishes the terms and
conditions, the requests for sublicences from generic producers were
reviewed solely by MPP and presented to MSD. Neither MSD, Ridgeback
Biotherapeutics nor Emory University, which invented the drug, will receive
royalties from sales of molnupiravir from the MPP sublicensees while
COVID-19 remains classified as a Public Health Emergency of International
Concern by the World Health Organization (WHO).

'We are encouraged by the large number of new and existing partners that
have moved quickly to secure a sublicence for molnupiravir through MPP,'
said Charles Gore, MPP Executive Director. 'This is a critical step toward
ensuring global access to an urgently needed COVID-19 treatment and we are
confident that, as manufacturers are working closely with regulatory
authorities, the anticipated treatments will be rapidly available in
LMICs.'

'Accelerating broad, affordable access to molnupiravir has been a priority
for MSD from the start, which led us to partner with MPP on a licensing
agreement to expand access to quality-assured generic versions of
molnupiravir, subject to local regulatory authorisation,'  said Paul
Schaper, Executive Director, Global Public Policy, MSD. 'We are pleased to
see this vision come to life, with strong geographic diversity in MPP's
selected generic manufacturing sublicensees.'

More on MPP's licence on molnupiravir and on the sublicence agreements :
https://medicinespatentpool.org/licence-post/molnupiravir-mol

Best regards
Sophie

Sophie Thievenaz