[e-drug] Netherlands TV documentary: the real price of cheap medicine (3)

E-DRUG: Netherlands TV documentary: the real price of cheap medicine  (3)

Comment on a comment from Abhishek Dadhich

Please let me reply to the mail of Abhishek-

Your valuable reply to Jos is more than an "eye-opener": since years -at least
in the EU and the USA- the "Lean government" ideas developed and implemented
for millions of EUROs/USD of taxpayers money by Consulting companies like Mc
Kinsey, BCG, etc. caused considerable, severe reductions of resources (manpower
and finances) to fulfil governmental responsibilities/obligations in the area
of safeguarding public health, e.g. in the quality control of medicinal
products. We all know that there were some scandals concerning the quality of
medicines, the ethical conduct of clinical trials, etc., sorry, but in many
cases companies from India were involved.

The problems concerning the quality control of medicinal products is only part
of the global quality problems, just think about the car-makers: there are
published data when the number of product recalls of cars exceeded the number
of sold cars in a country.

In my view the basic problem is that governments/Drug Regulatory Authorities
try to avoid to do anything what could cost money (>Lean government) and to
"optimize/slimline" expenses, "no matter what it takes". In addition, I suspect
that e.g. costly quality controls are not done, because the submitted
documentation (GMP compliance, etc.) is considered to be acceptable, i.e. with
no flaws, possibly false claims, descriptions, etc.

In order to be serious in protecting public health it must be confirmed by the
Authorities/Competent bodies that the procured documentation truly reflects the
reality, preferably by strict controls.

Dr. Werner Gielsdorf Herrenweg
17, D-89346 Bibertal, Germany
Dr. Werner Gielsdorf Herrenweg  <mail@gielsdorf.org>