[e-drug] WHO launch of 2018 progress report on access to hepatitis C treatment

E-DRUG: WHO launch of 2018 progress report on access to hepatitis C treatment

WHO released the latest "Progress report on access to hepatitis C treatment"
on 8th March 2018 . This report tracks the progress in access to hepatitis C
treatment since 2016. It was jointly developed by the WHO Department of HIV and
Global Hepatitis Programme and the WHO Department of Essential Medicines and
Health Products.

The report reviews the progress made in expanding access to life-saving
treatment for hepatitis C infection in 23 low- and middle-income countries. It
also provides information from innovator and generic manufacturers and multiple
partner organizations working in the field of viral hepatitis.

The key findings of the report are as follows.

-   Access to hepatitis C treatment is increasing, quite rapidly in some
countries – but this access is focused primarily in a few high-burden
countries.
-   The annual number of people who initiated direct-acting antiviral (DAA)
treatment increased from around 1 million in 2015 to 1.5 million in 2016.
-    To fast-track progress, we need more country leadership and more countries
committing to the elimination of hepatitis C. A great number of countries need
to seize the opportunity to procure the more affordable generic DAAs, which
have become available through voluntary licensing or local production.
-    We need to join forces to unblock the price barriers in upper-middle- and
high-income countries, which are home to 38% of all people with chronic
hepatitis C infection.
-   We need to rapidly scale up access to hepatitis testing, as most people
with hepatitis C remain unaware of their infection, let alone the need and
chance to be cured.

Please share this report widely within your networks and on social media.
Please also share the stories of patients living in China, Georgia, Mongolia
and Pakistan, who tell us "what cure means" for them.

The new report, key messages and associated materials are available on our
websites:
www.who.int/hepatitis/en/
and
http://www.who.int/medicines/en/

 For further information please contact Francoise Renaud,  WHO Department of
HIV at: renaudf@who.int
 or Tunga Namjilsuren at : namjilsurent@who.int

RENAUD, Francoise <renaudf@who.int>