[e-drug] MSH Launches Pharmaceutical GPO in Kenya (2)

E-DRUG: MSH Launches Pharmaceutical GPO in Kenya (2)
[It is E-drug policy that messages from private companies are not shared on the
list.
As MSH has 'evolved' their private promotional messages will not be shared in
future.  BS]

MSH, an organisation that has been a staunch supporter of access to essential,
affordable medicines. The initiative described in an email a couple of days ago
and the additional information found on their website seems to signal a shift
away from this. I see no mention of essential and of increasing access by the
poor. This GPO aims at  encompassing a number of healthcare organisations in
the private sector in a business-like model - seemingly based on US healthcare
system. Which is no model to be promoted in other countries. It is to be based
in Kenya with the intention of spreading out to other countries.

Yes, procurement and distribution of essential medicines has failed too often
in Africa. I worked myself in Botswana as principal pharmacist at the Central
Medical Stores 1985-8 and have been very disappointed with the lack of progress
made on the African continent.  Still I struggle to believe a private,
commercial mega-large pool procurement organisation answers the big questions
of access to affordable essential medicines for everybody. So will it drain
resources from the 70 % poor living on less than 1.25 USD per day and whom I
doubt are empowered to demand advanced medical services or the middle class?
What is by-the-way a health ecosystem?

Kirsten Myhr, E-DRUG co-moderator
Norway
"Kirsten Myhr" <myhr@online.no>