[e-drug] Innovative community pharmacy models to save a dying profession sought

E-DRUG: Innovative community pharmacy models to save a dying profession sought

Dear E-druggers,

I would like to seek ideas or successful examples of a social enterprise model
of community pharmacy out there!

I live in a well developed country in Asia, where majority of the funding for
healthcare is in the public sector is in hospitals.

Pharmacists roles and career are not like the UK, Australia or US. We only have
150 graduates per year yet the employment rate is low.

We do not practice separation of dispensing of pharmaceuticals in the private
sector as we have many many private GPs practicing here people access them due
to their lowish costs and convenience but patients' costs are all out of
pocket.. The dilemma that the Irish pharmacists were fighting against a few
months back its THE issue here.

Because the healthcare system composition is in general not the same as the
countries mentioned above together with health believes and literacy, power of
doctors, issues in the community pharmacy sector etc

I believe that here we need innovation to solve the issue instead of trying to
copy and paste another existing "gold standard" here.  I work a lot in the
community with NGOs (volunteering) and promoting the profession to pockets of
people in the community together with a few other young pharmacists trying to
move in a more positive direction.

 I have started looking at a few ideas but it would be great if any experts out
there can share any examples or thoughts? Would be greatly appreciated.

Best

Sally Ho MPharm MPH
Hong Kong
Sally Ho <siuluen.sally@gmail.com>