[e-drug] Ketamine as a treatment for depression and other resources

E-DRUG: Ketamine as a treatment for depression and other resources

The posting by David Healy is very interesting as it may be a possible answer
to the question I have been asked frequently why is there is push to control
ketamine.

But if there was an interest to use ketamine for this new indication you would
expect there to be an effort to patent this anti depressive property. My
colleague Warren Kaplan who is an expert on searching patent data bases has
looked.

This is what he found:
All patents in the Orange Book which is the US FDA register of registered
medicines in the US dealing with 'ketamine'  as the active ingredient in Rx
forms have expired.

There are ZERO issued U.S. patents with CLAIMS to the chemical name for
ketamine or for the class of molecules that ketamine is a part of
(arylcyclohexamine) .

HOWEVER,  I found about 16 unexpired U.S. patents with the name 'ketamine' in
the CLAIMS.
 None of these were owned by any 'big pharma'  - most are owned by
hospitals/research centers but they could have been licensed off to big pharma
and we don't know.

Further, there are about 425 patent APPLICATIONS  (since 2001) with the name
'ketamine'� in the CLAIMS. These may be incidental and not actually related to
protecting or utilizing this product. Also one of the papers cited in David
Healy's paper is from 2001 so there is prior knowledge which might make it
difficult to patent this property of ketamine so I am not convinced.

From the little I have been able to find on the motivations for China's push
for this high level of control is that China does have a ketamine abuse problem
and their response has been to try to regulate it away despite negative public
health consequences. China is not unique in doing this sort of thing. The US
has been very slow to use needle exchange programs for IV drug abusers despite
the strong evidence that providing clean needles reduce HIV incidence among the
IV Drug abusers. In Russia despite the evidence that methadone works to reduce
crime and anti-social behaviours these products are often not made available to
opiate addicts.

In my reading around the subject I have seen an excellent Power Point
presentation by Dr Jannicke Mellin-Olsen from the World Federation of Societies
of Anesthetists at

https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/3ed1f486-d4c6-48cd-9b05-bdfc78239c19 .

Willem Scholten has updated his resource materials at
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sg29d5lltqe5g9d/AAAqGRCiPfNtF9iE15UtZAWxa?dl=0

Well worth reading.

He makes the point that if you are going to contact someone from your country
to persuade them to vote against any attempt to classify ketamine you need to
do it this week as many of the delegates are leaving this weekend to travel to
Vienna.  The key countries to be lobbied are
-  In Europe: Croatia, Poland, Spain;
- In Asia: India, Indonesia, Thailand, Korea;
- In Africa: Angola, Benin, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of the Congo,
Namibia, Nigeria, Togo, United Republic of Tanzania;
- In North-America: Canada, United States;
-  In Latin-America: Bolivia (Plurinational State of), Colombia, Cuba,
Guatemala, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Uruguay (the underlined
being the most urgent);
-  In the Pacific: Australia.

One final query that I have is about the absence of outcry by the animal lovers
in the world. Ketamine is a widely used anesthetics for animals both for small
domestic animals but also for large animals like bears and lions in zoos who
need to be darted to provide veterinary attention or for relocation. I wonder
why that have been so silent.

Please keep trying to influence your national representatives. It may be
possible for E-Druggers to make a difference!

Richard

Richard Laing
Professor International Health
Boston University School of Public Health,
801 Massachusetts Avenue Boston MA 02118
Tel 617 414 1445 (Office) 617 435 7860 (Mobile)
E mail richardl@bu.edu
http://www.bu.edu/pharm/the-program/