[e-drug] For cheaper drug options, send SMS (4)

E-DRUG: For cheaper drug options, send SMS (4)

Dear E-Druggers

I agree that retail pharmacists cannot substitute the brand name written by a
doctor in India.  This program is not for pharmacists to do substitution but
for providing information to consumers.

I have done many surveys on medicine prices and availability in different
states of India using a standard methodology developed by WHO and HAI. A recent
survey was carried out in National Capital, Delhi in 2011. The data for private
sector is collected from retail pharmacies situated in all eight districts of
Delhi. I have also done the medicine price components study whereby finding the
actual mark up (profit) for wholesalers and retailers for few medicines for
their three popular brands and for three not so-popular brand (branded generic).

I would like to make the following points in connection to the on-going
discussion of providing prices of a medicine for its different trade names:

Every pack of medicines in India is printed with MRP (maximum retail price).
Except for medicines whose price is controlled by NPPA (national pharmaceutical
pricing authority), under Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers the MRP is
fixed by the manufacturer.

The Government or NPPA fixes price for only 74 medicines and it includes only
38 essential medicines, the rest are not commonly used. For all other medicines
(except the 74) the manufacturer decides the mark up for wholesaler and
retailers. There is no transparency for in fixing the MRP.

For each medicine (INN pharmacological moiety) there are dozens of trade names
available in India; Popular trade names are called branded medicines as they
are pushed by the manufacturer via doctors and not so popular trade names are
called branded generic and are pushed in the market by the retailer.

I do not agree that on medicines with inexpensive or comparatively cheaper MRP
(maximum retail price) printed have less percentage of margins for retailers.
Retailers have higher margins than the established 16-20% on most of the
medicines.

In my opinion it is good to provide information to patients or consumers about
the price of different 'brands' available with the name of manufacturer.
Consumers should know the price difference and the range available. Maybe next
time when she/he visits a doctor she/he can ask for prescribing a medicine with
an inexpensive [lower] price. This program should be taken as creating
awareness about the medicine prices and this is one of the important factors
that can bring down medicine prices.

In India, almost all reputed companies make two versions of the same medicines,
with difference in price structures, one is their 'branded' product or popular
product and other branded generic (for details see Singal G, Nanda A, Kotwani
A. A comparative evaluation of price and quality of some branded versus
branded-generic medicines of the same manufacturer in India. Indian Journal of
Pharmacology 2011; 43: 131-136.)

The recent survey conducted in Delhi has clearly shown that there is huge price
variation in a few medicines which were available in retail pharmacies and some
of these medicines are ofloxacin, doxycycline, diclofenac, ciprofloxacin,
amoxicillin+clavulanic acid, amlodipine, amitriptyline, cefuroxime, cefixime.

BUT we should know who is responsible for providing this information on SMS.
The company or the organization should not have any dealings with any
pharmaceutical company(ies). The name of the organization, its members with
their declaration of conflict of interest should be identified and should be
available on the website and appear in the newspapers. We need transparency in
the system and we require good governance and commitment.

Best,
Anita Kotwani

Dr. Anita Kotwani
Associate Professor
Department of Pharmacology
Vallabhbhai Patel Chest Institute
University of Delhi
Delhi 110007
India

[Message edited by moderator for clarity. DB]