[e-drug] SMS as a tool for drug info (2)

E-DRUG: SMS as a tool for drug info (2)

Dear All

I just finished a study on the use of SMS (in addition to paper based report)
for reporting suspected  adverse drug reactions. It was tested among health
professionals in one of the biggest referral hospital in the city of Manila.
The result showed that it is not efficient as far as ADR reporting is concerned
but good for relaying new or  emerging safety problems about a drug. Unreliable
connectivity for 24/7 and following a predefined syntax were major deterrents.
We concluded that SMS was more useful for issuing updates about a drug, new
safety issues, drug interaction, information about the drug such as
relationship with food, what to do when you miss a dose, etc. than as a means
of reporting ADRs. Hopefully, we can publish the result of our study once it is
cleared by the funding agency. Another colleague is doing a study on the use of
SMS for reminding patients with TB to take their medications.

Jody V. Dalmacion,MD,MSc
Assistant Director
Institute of Clinical Epidemiology
University of the Philippines-Manila-National Institute of Health