[e-drug] FDA Approves First Medication to Reduce HIV Risk (2)

E-DRUG: FDA Approves First Medication to Reduce HIV Risk (2)

Dear e-drug subscribers,

[This is] Certainly a further step in fighting HIV/Aids from a pharmacological
point of view. But still we are so much far behind eradicating HIV in terms of
new infections and treatment.
The situation improved during the last years but
now as funds are being reduced getting more worrying. This week?s New
England Journal of Medicines covers an perspective article which looks at
the different aspects in research, prevention, and coverage of treatment in
various countries. An interactive map easily give you an impression how
serious the situation in a lot of countries still is. As long as millions of
people still have no access to ARVs we still need to work hard to improve.

A new method for prevention is fine. As it is not 100% safe, it requires
other preventive actions to be added. I wonder how much impact this new
medication can have in poor countries. If we are not even able to get all
infected people to have access to the treatment, who will have access to all
preventive measures (which might include this ?new? medication).

Best regards

Andreas

Andreas Wiegand Ph.D.
Program officer product development and strategic communication
Ecumenical Pharmaceutical Network
Gatundu Villas No.1, Gatundu road, Kileleshwa
P. O. Box 749 - 00606 Sarit Centre, Nairobi, Kenya
Mob: +254 724 301755
www.epnetwork.org

Just and compassionate quality pharmaceutical services for all
Services pharmaceutiques de qualité, équitables et avec compassion pour tous