[e-drug] Glaxo to pay $3 bn for largest health care fraud in US (6)

E-DRUG: Glaxo to pay $3 bn for largest health care fraud in US (6)

Dear E-Druggers

I was director of public policy at SmithKline prior to the merger with Glaxo.
Late in my career, J.P. Garnier was in charge, and his attitude was summed up
simply: we shouldn't break the law, "but we shouldn't be stupid."  Everyone
knew he expected us to go right to the line if money were to be made, and many
of us were appalled.  That policy led directly to the $3 billion fine.

What didn't happen is that no individual paid a dime out of his own pocket for
this misguided policy.  Dr. Garnier was in fact given several million dollars
as a retirement bonus.  Until corporate executives share actual responsibility
for their mistakes as well as their successes, real progress cannot be made.

James Russo
[Please supply affiliation when posting - moderator]
jbrusso@aol.com