E-DRUG: Workshop on Procurement & Supply Management of Essential Laboratory
Commodities, 6-11 May, Netherlands
i+solutions will be facilitating a workshop on Procurement & Supply Management
of Essential Laboratory Commodities (English version) scheduled to take place
in the Netherlands from 6 - 11 May 2012.
This workshop is mainly intended for two groups of people:
- Managers, healthcare workers, logisticians and supply chain management staff
working for governmental or non-governmental organizations, private or public
- Laboratory scientists working for governmental or non-governmental
organizations, private or public health facilities who may be directly involved
in supply chain management or logistics.
Laboratory services are essential for successful management many diseases. The
management of diseases requires availability of quality laboratory services
that meet the need for diagnosis, monitoring and evaluation of treatment
efficacy. To achieve this, a reliable and sustainable supply of essential
laboratory supplies is required.
The aim of the course is to apply the principles of supply chain management to
the management of laboratory commodities in low and middle income countries.
At the end of this training, participants will be able to:
- Recognize the major components of functional health systems and how these
apply to laboratory service needs;
- Critically assess a supply chain and suggest logistical improvements;
- Develop detailed specifications for equipment, durables, consumables,
reagents and devices;
- Produce a forecast for equipment and supplies;
- Understand the procurement process, evaluate and pre-approve suppliers;
- Comprehend aspects of inventory management that apply to laboratory
- Recommend the appropriate storage conditions for laboratory commodities;
- Apply appropriate and measurable indicators to assess the quality and
efficacy of laboratory commodity supply chains.
The course is highly participatory, the interchange of skills and experience
among course members is essential for training activities and learning. The
course contains presentations, discussions, exercises, and case studies. The
major topics include:
- Laboratory Service Needs;
- Supply Chain Management;
- Laboratory Commodity Selection;
- Forecasting and Quantification;
- Inventory and Warehouse Management;
- Storage and Distribution;
- Monitoring and Evaluation;
- €2,600 (registration and payment completed before/on the 25th of March 2012)
- €2,800 (registration and payment completed after the 25th of March 2012)
The fee includes:
- Tuition fee (including course materials and admission costs).
- Transfer to and from the training venue to Amsterdam International Airport.
- Hotel accommodation (single occupancy) for the duration of the course.
Check-in on the 6th of May, Check-out on the 12th of May. 6 nights in total.
- Three meals a day during the course period.
- Coffee and tea during course breaks.
For more information on the course, please visit
To request for application form and/or more information on the course, please
Training & Consultancy Department
Tel: +31 (0)348 489 630
fax +31 348 489 659
Training & Consultancy Coordinator
pharmaceutical management support