Re: [e-drug] Why EU seizes Indian drugs (Former India WTO Amb) (7)

E-DRUG: Why EU seizes Indian drugs (Former India WTO Amb) (7)
[In answer to your first question: In the archives you will find the
contribution from Wilbert Bannenberg, March 6, 2009,  'Seizure of Indian
generic ARVs in Netherlands en route to Nigeria' that explains the 'rationale'
for the seizure (that the drugs were patent protected in the Netherlands).
Moderator]

All,

This has been an interesting trail.

In as much as I agree that generics are quite good and have further made
treatments accessible to the majority of the needy we should also emphasize
quality. Why were these drugs seized? Were the authorities approached for
answers re their actions? I believe they are part of the questions we should
be asking. It is also a wake-up call for the various NRAs that are not
necessarily SRAs to look at their SOPs for upgrade if need be. The care
should be applied on the side of the exporting NRA as well as the importing
NRA.

Conclusively, we in the developing world really need these generics but the
developed countries too should continually remember that diseases find it
much easier to cross borders now than before. I think it is basic to fight
these diseases from their buds than to attempt killing the monsters once
grown.

Regards,

Jiru

Jiru Bako