[e-drug] Why EU seizes Indian drugs (Former India WTO Amb) (3)

E-DRUG: Bhatia: Why EU seizes Indian drugs (Former India WTO Amb) (3)

Dear Colleagues,

I fully agree with Bonface - generics and counterfeits for most in the
developing countries are two distinct issues and must not be confused with each
other. A study conducted on quality of ofloxacin in Pakistan showed that the
highest priced leading (by sales) brands were counterfeited. There is a serious
and real threat to control of infectious diseases, especially TB and malaria,
in my country where even the Government has accepted the presence of
counterfeit medicines to be as high as 50%. However, one wonders where is the
evidence regarding counterfeits and their distribution across band and generic
lines?

Best regards,
Ayyaz

Ayyaz Gul Kiani, RPh (BPharm, MComH)