[e-drug] Differences in Drug Datasheets (4)

E-DRUG: Differences in Drug Datasheets (4)

In Australia, most doctors (and prescribing software) seem to use the
MIMS database, which is a collection of manufacturer provided product
information sheets. Even there I see the problem you mention - the
information provided varies from brand to brand of the same generic
substance. There are even anecdotes of doctors prescribing a
particular brand because it's product information does not mention a
potential adverse reaction or drug interaction that is mentioned in
the product information of a different brand - of the same drug

At that time I wanted to start a public database of drug reference
information (drugref.org), but the project died due to lack of
interest. Perhaps it should be resuscitated.

Horst

Horst Herb
subscriptions@gnumed.net