[e-drug] Non prescription sale of antibiotics (8) (Malawi)

E-DRUG: Non prescription sale of antibiotics (8) (Malawi)

Dear Dr. Berry

The idea of assigning a student to do an investigation is quite a noble
idea. I will be very interested to see the outcome as I am also worried
about the viability of community/retail pharmacy in Malawi. I think I will
be very willing to help in the development of the investigatory tools for
the project. I think we need to protect our profession and develop it
especially for the sake of first graduates in Malawi.

The problem here is two-pronged, ie doctors dispense unlimitedly and if
pharmacists do not get prescriptions, they end up doing unethical
prescribing. If the regulatory body is to enforce the law, they have to
clamp down on both ends; otherwise the retail pharmacist is going to suffer.

Langton Mukura (B. Pharm Hons, mps)
Pharmaceutical Services Manager
Christian Health Association of Malawi
P.O. Box 30378