[e-drug] Any questions or thoughts for Bakari?

E-DRUG: Any questions or thoughts for Bakari?

Bakari Bakari from Tanzania is spending his professional affiliation with
E-drug until June 13. He is the Information Systems Manager at the Medical
Stores Dept at the MoH in Dar and currently a Hubert Humphrey fellow at the
University of North Carolina. In 2005 he designed and implemented a web site to
link the public dispensaries to the MSD to improve essential drugs management.
He has a great interest in the use of handheld computers for tracking drug
supply.

Given his experience and expertise in Africa, we were hoping to tap into his
knowledge about
electronic systems and essential drug management in general.  It would be good
to take advantage of his last couple of weeks with any of your queries.

I will start by asking his opinion on 2 things.
1. I believe that adherence to standard treatment guidelines and documentation
of usage is a much better basis for appropriate procurement than reliance
solely on computer held or other consumption records.

2. can you share any information about pooled procurement between countries -
how it is planned and how it works fnancially and logistically.  What are
advantages and disadvantages?  We are considering some pooled procurement
options in Pacific Island Countries where there are enormous problems
associated with very small populations (no economy of scale) and huge distances
between and within the island countries.

Beverley Snell - Moderator
bev@burnet.edu.au

Bakari is happy to try to answer any of your queries.  He set the scene with
the following message and he would like to hear from you - ideas or questions.

Equitable healthcare services including access to drugs and medical
supplies are the major function of any healthcare system. Effective
healthcare supply chain systems are reliant on rational drugs
selection, pricing and financing. These are also dependent on other
factors such as health policies, economies as well as political
stability forming a series of interrelated dependencies.

Being a very dynamic area, drugs supply chain management has evolved a
number of challenges that can be categorized regionally depending on
the level of resource availability and technology advancement. While
developed countries have managed to do away with most of these
challenges-including poor health policies, poor logistics
infrastructure and management, political interference poor technology
use, poorly resourced Drugs Regulatory Authorities (DRAs), unqualified
supply chain managers, demand supply imbalances, deficit health budgets
and corruption-most of these are still prevalent in the developing
world.

Some challenges like drug quality issues are general as evidenced by
the number of cases in US, which has a well resourced DRA. For example,
the recent case of Chinese made Heparin blood thinner linked to sixty
two deaths and hundreds of allergic reactions in the U.S. and Germany.

As we globalize supply chains, we will reap the associated benefits
including more pricing competitiveness and economies of scale. However,
it is more likely that more challenges will emerge that require
strategic proactive solutions.

Grass root policies, use of Information Technology, capacity building
and global collaboration including information and experience sharing
through forums like E-drug are currently seen as pragmatic solutions
for mitigating these challenges.

How feasible is Information Technology for drug supply chain management
in politically unstable and under-resourced areas?

What are your thoughts about solutions to current and future challenges to
drugs supply chain management?

What role can global collaboration play in capacity building?

Bakari A. Bakari
Information Systems Manager, Medical Stores Dept.
Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, TANZANIA
Public Health Informatics & Leadership Humphrey Fellow 2007/08
North Carolina University, Chapel Hill, NC AED Satellife Intern May
19-June 13, 2008
Boston, MA 02472-2539
bakari@email.unc.edu