[e-drug] Novartis case and R&D: Brian Druker on development of Glivec (2)

E-DRUG: Novartis case and R&D: Brian Druker on development of Glivec (2)

Dear E-druggers,

The key researcher of Glivec Brian Druker has stated:

".... the price at which imatinib has been offered for sale by Novartis around
the world has caused me considerable discomfort. Pharmaceutical companies that
have invested in the development of medicines should achieve a return on their
investments. But this does not mean the abuse of these exclusive rights by
excessive prices and seeking patents over minor changes to extend monopoly
prices. This goes against the spirit of the patent system and is not justified
given the vital investments made by the public sector over decades that make
the discovery of these medicines possible.
...... Without access medical research becomes a luxury good. Most of my
colleagues would be very uncomfortable if we felt that this would be the result
of our decades of effort".

Is Novartis reading this?

It was Novartis who posted their view point a few days back on E-drug. Now that
the researchers of the medicine are showing concerns about patenting and
pricing of their research by Novartis, may we hear from Novartis what they have
to say? Good luck to them for the effort that they will be making.

regards

Dr Vijay Thawani,
India
vijaythawani@rediffmail.com

Join in Network for Rational Use of Medicines (NetRUM) E-discussions at
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/netrum

14-20 Aug: Role of telemedicine in RUM.
Moderator - Dr Kiran Barar

23-29 Aug: Medicine promotion : Are we promoting science or sales?
Moderator - Dr Mira Desai