[e-drug] Artemether/lumefantrine - pack sizes, brand name issue (7)

E-DRUG: Artemether/lumefantrine - pack sizes, brand name issue (7)

The issue of packaging of artemether-lumefantrine should be discussed not only
within the distributive functions responsibilities but should also encompass
patient care dynamics. This will certainly fit well within the pharmaceutical
care concepts to  those who work closely with patients. While bulk packaging
simplifies the distributive functions in public health institutions, it is also
important to consider the pharmaceutics and chemical-physical nature of the
product at hand before strongly positioning the advocacy for single common
packaging. With the numbers (0 - 50) of patients we service per day one should
consider the stability of the product in the container, suitability and cost of
packing used in most public institutions and the quality of dispensing
practices.
Secondly, improved pharmaceutical management also focuses on promoting patient
care in terms of  responsibilities in the treatment plan, acceptability,
convenience, home storage facilities, adherence, expected treatment outcomes
and many other factors. Perhaps this is another research study area for a
cost-benefit analysis rather than common sense. Once again, as we advocate for
distributive convenience, we should  prime the convenience at patient care
level.

Oliver Hazemba
Regional Technical Advisor
Management Sciences for Health