[e-drug] Artemether/lumenfantrine - pack sizes, brand name issue (6)

E-DRUG: Artemether/lumenfantrine - pack sizes, brand name issue (6)

Dear Rob,

Thank you for your communication and I wish to share with you some concerns
about this antimalarial product. The public sector in Namibia uses
artemether/lumefantrine fixed dose combination since approximately one year now.

1. Of course, I asked myself why we have another brand product on the public
market now, where the national medicines' policy has adopted the essential
medicines' concept, and that includes the exclusive use of generic names for
pharmaceutical products - for very good reasons as we know.

2. So far, I am not aware of any study looking into the effect of these blister
packs on patients' compliance. Personally, I thought when I saw these different
blisters first, that they may increase adherence; but then it is of course
quite expensive to produce these blister packs. I support your suggestion that
blisters with six tablets each could as well serve the purpose and with the
right instructions a patient may take the tablets correctly.

3. The four different blister packs causes apparently confusion among
pharmaceuticeutical staff too. Only this morning a colleague asked me whether
the tablets in these four different blisters were of the same or different
strengths, though we had discussed this issue several times since we received
this medicines last year.

Regards Fritz Steinhausen

--
Karl F. Steinhausen