[e-drug] Banning of medicines in India (2)

E-DRUG: Banning of medicines in India (2)

Hi

I support the suggestion for a concentrated action on the issue. It is indeed
sad to find medicines which are banned in other countries, to find pediatric
preparations of such banned medicines, preparations of doubtful efficacy and
irrational combinations in Indian market. Further the medicine promotion of
such products is far from being ethical.

It is surprising why the concerned authorities are not realising the  existence
of the problem, which is severe, pressing and calling for immediate attention.
Those who should be concerned as a part of their built in duty, for which they
are employed and paid or elected and paid,are not performing. What they shoud
be doing in natural course of functioning, they are not heeding to in spite of
being told.In the times when patient empowerment,patient rights, medicine
rights are being discussed, we seem to be living in historical era.

The political will to cleanse the system is lacking. We have had many medical
doctors in the political leadership, as health ministers and also as
bureaucrats but all seem to have thrown towels. Either their spines are not
strong to sustain the mission or they are more busy at other business!

Dr Vijay Thawani

Join in Network for Rational Use of Medicines (NetRUM) E-discussions at
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/netrum

21-30 July : How to succeed with National Pharmacovigilance Programme?
Moderator - Dr Manoj Swaminathan.

Thanks
Dr Vijay Thawani
vijaythawani@rediffmail.com