[e-drug] Medical doctors & belief in brand names (6)

E-DRUG:Medical doctors & belief in brand names (6)

The utility or foolishness of brand names in prescribing has been debated
since the 1950s, at least in the U.S,  Many products have brand names  of
course, and those names help distinguish one product from another quite
specifically.  Thus we may set out to buy a television (generic) and  because
of what we've heard or experienced about a particular firm, we  may give one
trademark (SONY) the inside track.  Of course our  final choice is likely to
involved a review of various  where the drug  lobby had pushed through
legislation, state after state, requiring every Rx for,  say, Pentids be filled
with the Squibb name.  At the time, it seemed that  the laws were mostly
anticompetitive in effect, through there were the  occasional reports of grungy
garage laboratories where those shadowy generics  emerged almost like counter
band rum brought in by speedboats from  Noriega-land.

prohibiting pharmacists filling a scrip for "Darvon" provide rospoxhemine.
At the time, For me, reliance on generic terminology by  prescribers requires
an assumption that every formulation of the needed drug is  interchangeable
with every other.  That assumption requires a massive leap  of faith in a world
where the existence of uniform cross-national good  manufacturing practices are
far from certain.  Add the increased  incidence of flat-out counterfeiting, and
confidence that every formulation of,  say, amoxicillin, is the equal of all
others requires a level of faith I'm not  willing to grant.

James B.  Russo
146 Koenig Rd.
Bernville, PA 19506
USA