[e-drug] Global Penicillin API market

E-DRUG: Global Penicillin API market
------------------------------------

Dear e-druggers

I understand that due to recent stepped-up environmental control measures
in China, which has an estimated 70% share of global production of
penicillin API, there have been quite significant increases in the  price
of penicillin APIs and, eventually, penicillin- containing essential
medicines. I have been trying to get a better understanding of the
background to this environmental control-raw material price connection, but
have not yet identified a suitable reference. Does any e-drugger have any
more solid and analytical information on this specifically, and generally,
how long one would expect such circumstances to affect prices upwards
before they stabilise again?

In view of the important position of China as a global player in the supply
of pharmaceutical raw materials, could this affect the price of other
essential medicines in the near future?

Many thanks in advance for any information.

Murtada M. Sesay
Technical Officer (Pharmaceuticals)
UNICEF Supply Division

Tel: +45 3527 3098