[e-drug] Nimesulide follow-up

E-DRUG: Nimesulide follow-up
----------------------------

Dear E-druggers,

A few weeks ago, I was in the office of my overall head of (Pharmacy)
department who doubles as the institutions procurement officer for
pharmaceuticals and met a bottle of a locally branded paediatric nimesulide
suspension on her table apparently dropped by a med rep.

I first inquired if she had not procured the product (being aware that we were
already stocking and dispensing the solid dosage form) and she assured me of
not having done so. I then cautioned her against doing so, since its prolonged
use in our paediatric patients might expose them to undue risks of developing
severe/fatal hepatotoxic and other adverse reactions, citing references from
the recent e-drug communication. She promised to heed my advice.

I was greatly delighted, and hereby wish to thank all contributors to the
nimesulide issue for making such a valuable intervention possible and
particularly to the editor for providing a suitable and convenient platform for
my proper education.

You will better appreciate my joy in the light of the possibility of prolonged
use in our environment being quite high, given the intensive and largely
difficult-to  control promotional efforts of pharmaceutical companies
representatives and the vulnerability of our doctors who enjoy rather unlimited
clinical freedom to prescribe products of their choice coupled with patients
propensity to continue purchasing medicines, without further physician
consultation, from community drug outlets once they have been medically
introduced to such products and found them effective, not minding any possible
untoward effect.

My best regards to you all!

Olutayo Adetokunbo Moronkeji,
Pharmacist
OAUTH Wesley Guild Hospital
Ilesa, Nigeria
oamoronkeji@yahoo.com

[Glad to hear that you and E-drug are making a difference! WB]