[e-drug] Masters thesis on paediatric formulations

E-DRUG: Masters thesis on paediatric formulations

Dear colleagues,

As we are aware, the problem of finding suitable paediatric formulations is
not a new one, but with pandemics such as HIV/AIDS killing children at
alarming rates, it is a problem that has required amplified focus and
attention.

I will shortly be commencing a Masters in Industrial Drug Development -
with special outlook on public health issues, and have a keen interest in
focusing my masters thesis on paediatric HIV treatment. At the moment this
is a blank slate - I would therefore like to hear from colleagues around
the world, what specific problems they are facing when trying to provide
treatment to children (whether as a drug developer, physician, primary care
giver, hospital pharmacist or other function directly or indirectly related
to providing medication to children). Should there be any particular areas
that are lacking attention/ detailed study - I would also be intent on
hearing about these.

In addition, I would be grateful for references for further reading on this
topic.

Finally, as this is a costly private undertaking, I would welcome ideas on
sources of funding!

Many thanks,
Lombe

Ms Lombe Kasonde
Assistant Technical Officer
UNICEF Supply Division
Freeport, DK-2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Tel: +45 35 27 30 30
Fax: +45 35 26 94 21
http://www.unicef.org/supply

[dear Lombe, very necessary topic! Paediatric AIDS is a neglected disease. For
funding: wasn't there a UN agency working specifically for children?
;-] WB]