[e-drug] rofecoxib ban in India

E-DRUG: rofecoxib ban in India
------------------------------

Dear Dr Gulati, and other e-druggers:

I need to know: DOES BANNING OF DRUGS HAS ANY MEANING IN INDIA?

Take for example the recent case of ROFECOXIB ban in India. Even just an
hour back I received your response to some ones mail saying that it has been
banned by Drug Controller of India and not voluntarily withdrawn by Merck.

Fine, the end result is the Official line that it is banned in India. I just
had a discussion with my nearby chemist yesterday. I was stunned to know his
reply to my simple curosity to know whether he knows about the recent
withdrawl of Rofecoxib from the market. HIS REPLY WAS: WHAT BAN IN INDIA
SIR? HOW MANY ROFECOXIB YOU WANT. I GIVE YOU RIGHT AWAY. EVEN HOW MANY
NIMUSULIDE YOU WANT WHICH WAS BANNED LONG BACK. ANY BANNED DRUG YOU WANT IS
AVAILABLE. NOT WITH ME BUT WITH ANY CHEMIST YOU MAY FIND THEM. HE SAID AS
LONG AS DOCTORS KEEP WRITING WE KEEP GETTING THE SUPPLY. ACCORDING TO HIM IT
IS DOCTORS WHO DON'T STOP WRITING EVEN AFTER THE BAN. SO, WE HAVE TO GET THE
DRUG.

Now who is to blame: the doctors, the chemist, the DCI or other law
enforcing agencies or else. If it comes to doctors, should not they
understand themselves to stop prescribing the banned drugs? Or is there
anybody who can stop doctors from prescribing the banned drugs. Who will
bell the cat?

Dr Anupam Aggarwal, MD
Chairman and Managing Director,
Clinics India Press Pvt Ltd.
A Medical Publishing and Health Care Information Company, India
email: clinicsindia@vsnl.net; dr.anupam@vsnl.com