E-DRUG: Short Course in "Rational Drug Management"
Date: 03.05.2004 - 14.05.2004
Interested in a short course in "Rational Drug Management" at the University
of Heidelberg? Still seats available!!!
[Please reply to <email@example.com>
NOT to firstname.lastname@example.org]
Short Courses in International Health
Department of Tropical Hygiene and Public Health
University of Heidelberg, Germany
Fax +49 - 6221 - 56 49 18
Rational Drug Management
This course is organised jointly by the Department of Tropical Hygiene &
Public Health (ATHÖG) of the University of Heidelberg and the Swiss
Institute at Basel.
Drugs are an essential tool for preventive, curative and rehabilitative
However, holistic health care has to consider drugs just as one tool among
many others and avoid the irrational overuse of pharmaceuticals.
The number and type of drugs is constantly increasing, while the financial
resources for health care services in general remain limited. Therefore
rational drug management has become an increasingly important topic in
order to make
optimal use of the drug budget and to offer health services of the highest
The course uses case studies and experience from high, middle and
countries with contributions from the participants to demonstrate the
universal applicability of the concepts and principles.
- To apply the concepts and principles of essential drugs and rational drug
- To be convinced of the need for a supportive national and international
drug policy environment and
- To improve knowledge and technical skills for rational drug management in
their respective services.
Specific Learning Objectives
- Describe the historical evolution and the current global drug situation
- Apply the concept and the principles of rational drug
- Explain the importance of an international and national drug policy
- Apply tools to develop and implement treatment guidelines, an
- Describe the framework and components of a drug supply system
- Apply the relevant tools for the procurement and distribution of
- Explain the elements of drug costs and financing - Describe elements of
drug quality and quality assurance for rational drug management
- Describe the enabling and hindering factors and strategies for rational
- Apply critical drug information management
Health professionals and managers with a minimum 2 years experience in the
health sector and at least 1 year experience in certain aspects of rational
2 weeks/90 hours. Equivalent to 3 ECTS points towards the tropEd European
Master in International Health
R. Huss (Heidelberg)
K. Wiedenmeyer (Basel)
Your written Registration should be received by the Department of Topical
Hygiene. Please register as early as possible since the number of
The total fee for the course is EUR 1.500; for those enrolled in the tropEd
programme EUR 1.000.
A non-refundable registration fee of EUR 100, which will be credited
the tuition fee, is due no later than four weeks prior to the start of the
course. If the participant withdraws from the course less than four weeks
prior to its commencement, a fee of EUR 100 will be charged.
The tuition fee covers coursework and printed materials and a bi-weekly
for the Heidelberg public transportation system, but does not include
accommodation, insurance or other personal living costs during the stay.
To send a message to E-Drug, write to: email@example.com
To subscribe or unsubscribe, write to: firstname.lastname@example.org
in the body of the message type: subscribe e-drug OR unsubscribe e-drug
To contact a person, send a message to: email@example.com
Information and archives: http://www.essentialdrugs.org/edrug