[e-drug] Reports of quality failure by multinationals

E-drug: Reports of quality failure by multinationals
Dear E-DRUG readers,

I am a medical student from Sri Lanka.In our country we do not have a
good post marketing quality surveillance system for pharmaceuticals.
In addition the drug regulatory authority is not in a position to
guarantee bio equivalence between generics and brands. Thus many
clinicians tend to prescribe expensive brands assuming that quality
of drugs manufactured by multi nationals is more reliable than
cheaper generic versions. But the majority of consumers in our
country are unable to afford such expensive drugs. When asked from
the officers at the Drug Regulatory Authority they say both generic
manufacturers and multi nationals are equally responsible for drug
quality failures. However these reports are never published.

Therefore if any of you know of sources/links with reports of quality
failure of drugs by multi national companies, please let me know. So
that we can show those and ask such prescribers to think of an
alternative to guarantee quality rather than making the poor patients
pay the price.

Thank you.

Ruwan Chandana
Medical Student,