[e-drug] Serious Manufacturing Problems at Schering-Plough

E-drug: Serious Manufacturing Problems at Schering-Plough
Dear Colleagues,

This morning (March 1, 2001) we wrote to the U.S.'s new Secretary of
Health and Human Services urging him to launch an investigation into
criminal charges against Schering-Plough based on the possibility
that the company knowingly shipped millions of albuterol (Proventil
in the U.S.) metered dose inhalers that were eventually recalled,
between the time the company became aware of the seriously flawed
manufacturing processes and the time the recall was finally
accomplished.  Some albuterol canisters contained no active
ingredient.  We also urged the Secretary to investigate the company
for continuing to ship other prescription drug products while fully
aware of the serious violations of Food and Drug Administration Good
Manufacturing Practice (GMP) guidelines during their production.

The full text of our letter and documentation can be found on our web
site at: www.citizen.org/hrg/PUBLICATIONS/1559.htm.

Warmest regards,

Larry

Larry D. Sasich, Pharm.D., M.P.H., FASHP
Public Citizen's Health Research Group
1600 20th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20009
Voice: 202-588-7782