Re: E-DRUG: Medicines for the needy - Patents and Costs (cont'd)

E-DRUG: Medicines for the needy - Patents and Costs (cont'd)

One other point that deserves mention.  One constructive way to cut the
prices on patented drugs is to do some focussed research on their
pharmacodynamics, from the perspective of going the innovating firm one
better in discovering the optimal regimen.  The history of this little
corner of pharma research is that most drugs come to market with doses set
too high, or interdose intervals set needlessly close.  And then there's
the matter of the gut wall enzymes -- the lead article in the April issue
of CPT demonstrated that taking lovastatin with grapefruit juice increases
the plasma levels of drug and first metabolite by 15 fold, which says that
taking the drug plus about a tenth the usual dose (at a corresponding
reduction in acquisition cost) would result in the usual therapeutic
levels of drug and its active metabolite.

It is possible to obtain patent protection on innovative regimens in the
US, and some other countries, but not all -- I'm one of the coinventors of
that aspect of the transdermal scopolamine patch, the (costly) development
of which rewrote the pharmacology of scopolamine by showing what could be
done with a low, constant rate of drug delivery, avoiding in all but a
very small proportion of patients the unpleasant side-effects that this
drug has been known for a century.  I get no royalties from these
patents, but did share in a small fraction of the wealth created by the
innovations at ALZA Corp during the 1970's and 1980's.  That allows me
the freedom to donate my time to worthy academic activities, write
long-winded email notes on the evils of bad economics, and make
high-risk investments in innovative start-up firms, etc.

John Urquhart
urquhart@netcom.com