Re: E-DRUG: Functions of Principal Pharmacist

I am the Deputy Director for the Essential Drugs Programme in South
Africa and am very much interested in the functions of the Principal
Pharmacist in terms of coordination  and promotion of
phamacoepidemiologic research, describing drug use patterns. That is
lacking in our country and we need to pursue it. Kindly provide me
with any information in this regard.

Lullu Peteni
Deputy Director: Essential Drugs Programme
Dept of National Health, Private Bag X828
Pretoria, 0001, South Africa

[This is a very interesting question. How many countries chief or principal
pharmacist has a responsibility for coordination or promotion of
pharmacoepedemiologic research describing drug use patterns? Also what does
pharmacoepedemiology mean in developing country contexts? Here in the US
Pharmaco-epi is particularly focused on rare drug side effects and drug
interactions such as the recent Phen-phen incident. I think that in many
developing countries the emphasis has been on patterns of drug use and more
recently on testing interventions to change drug use.
Richard Laing Moderator for May]