Re: E-DRUG: Guardian article on Meningitis Patent

***********************************
E-DRUG: Guardian article on Meningitis Patent

To John Urquart,

I live in Adelaide.  We have a capitalist economy.  However we live in one
of the driest parts of the World.  Consequently, our economy depends on
"water flowing up hill" 60 km from Mannum on the River Murray over the
Adelaide Hills!  This funded by all tax payers according to ability to pay.
 There is no patent on water.

The water pipeline is essential infrastructure for all of the economy.  So
is health care.

James Love's message re Government Funded Drugs provides further data
supporting my view that government funding for innovation is a viable
option.  It appears that government funding gets results even in the USA
despite competition for people from the drug companies.

There are many projects which give or loan money to poor people to enable
them to set up enterprises which create wealth and jobs.  I suggest you
contact your local OXFAM equivalent.

regards,

Peter

Dr Peter Mansfield
Director, MaLAM

MaLAM encourages pharmaceutical companies to provide more reliable
information to assist appropriate health care.

MaLAM Headquarters
PO Box 172, Daw Pk SA 5041, Australia
phone/fax +61 8 8374 2245
peter.mansfield@flinders.edu.au