Re: E-DRUG: Ten Guiding Principles

E-DRUG Ten Guiding Principles

 Dear Patricia J.Bush and other E-druggers,

In spring 1998, Informational Pharmacological Center "DRUGS" carried out a
 survey among teenagers  (age: 11 to 15 years) with  the purpose  to reveal
 their attitude to  medicines. Yet, when we design the questionnaire,  we
 decided to take into account  children's opinion. For this, we invited pupils
 of 6 C form of the high school "Ion Kreanga", Chisinau and  told them about
 "Ten Guiding Principles", developed by Patricia Bush. It is relevant to note,
 that children were very proud of their  participation in this Program, and
 when we finished to design questionnaire, they suggested themselves in the
 capacity of  interviewers.

We faced some questions:

 1.  Will our teenagers - interviewers be able to find personal contact with
other   teenagers in the process of survey?
2.  For how much will questions be difficult for children?
3.  Will children want  to develop this  direction in the further?

 We'd like to note, that teenagers conducted survey in city's streets and in
their high school with pleasure. All children willingly took part in the
survey. Questions did not call any  difficulties, and, according to our
volunteers,  could be  more difficult. In the interviewing children in the
streets could be only one obstacle - bad weather, which stopped our
volunteers, who wanted to ask all children in our city.

What shows this  survey?

 When our children catch a cold, most of them (77%) use medicines, and only
23%  use traditional remedies. Sufficient majority of the children  (68%)
think, that medicines are useful, 13% categorically consider it  harmful, and
19% have no  idea about  harm/use of medicines.

 On a question: how many medicines are  kept in  your home?, - more than half
of questioned  teenagers,  answered, that at their homes are kept  a lot of
medicines,  29% of children - a few medicines. Only one child, knew exactly,
that at his home  does not keep medicines at all, and 13%  don't now whether
are or not medicines at their homes.

 In today's peak of advertise it was interesting for us to know children's
attitude to medicine's advertise.  The fact is, that  almost half of teenagers
(48%) are indifferent to drug advertise, 13% does not like it, and  39% watch
and hear medicine's advertise with pleasure.

 "How your family  acquire medicines?  By physician prescription, or not?"
Answer on this question had overwhelming  majority of questioned teenagers,
except two  children. Most of them (42%) indicate, that in their families
medicines are bought and  by prescription and without consultation of the
doctor as well.  29% thinks, that in their families medicines are bought  only
by prescription, and 13% of teenagers consider, that their parents  acquires
medicines without  doctor's consultation.

"Which  medicines  prefer to buy in your family: cheap or expensive?"
77% consider, that their families prefer to buy expensive medicines, 16% -
medicines with low price,  only 7% think, that their families would like to
buy medicines  by  prescription, reduces prices.

Dose children  muse on, that medicines can  do harm ? Yes, and the majority
of them  know  about cases   of harm, caused by medicines

Such interesting date we receive in the result of small survey.

 Any  suggestion, comments are more than  welcome.

Natalia Cebotarenco,
Chief of Informational Pharmacological Center "DRUGS",
#90, Moscow ave 13/3; Chisinau, Moldova, 2068
Tel/Fax (3732) 73-83-48
natalie@drugs.moldova.su