E-DRUG: Re: FIP's plea for 'activist' pharmacists

> Dear E-druggers,
>
> The activist pharmacist might also actively seek cheaper sources for his
> medicines, and offer at least one generic alternative next to his line
> of branded products. At present the margins for his branded products are
> much more pleasant for his turnover than those on generics. Could the
> pharmacist be moved to offer his patients a choice, or do we remain in the
> situation that brands, highly advertised and promoted and more expensive
> must be the better choice ? The pharmacist might help to alter this. That
>  would stop a lot of government interference .
> Or do I have that wrong?
>
> Gerrit Weeda,

Dear Gerrit,
It is so that pharmacists are not very motivated to promote
the sale of generic products as this has a direct impact on
their remuneration.
It is for this reason that South Africa will be
replacing the present remuneration structure based on a
percentage mark-up with a fixed professional fee.  The
pharmacist's remuneration will then be the same irrespective
of the price of the product supplied.

Regards
Marius Fourie
Chief Pharmacist