[afro-nets] MSF's campaign asking the EU to cease pursuing policies that hamper access to medicines

The European Commission is actively undermining production, registration,
exportation and transportation of generic medicines through the EU-India Free
Trade Agreement currently being negotiated, the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade
Agreement that is nearing finalization, as well as through EC customs
regulations.

People in developing countries rely on affordable generic medicines. More than
80% of the medicines used by Médecins Sans Frontières to treat AIDS across the
developing world are produced in India.

We are writing you today to ask you to support our new campaign to ask the
European Commission to cease pursuing policies that seriously hamper access to
affordable life-saving medicines for millions of people in developing countries.
https://action.msf.org/

We thank you for your support, and appreciate if you could also circulate the
petition to your contacts.

Best regards,

Mai DO
Campaign for Access to Essential Medicines
Médecins Sans Frontières

A detailed background briefing document is available
at:http://www.msfaccess.org/main/access-patents/hands-off-our-medicine-campaign/

To:   Commissioner De Gucht, DG Trade

The European Commission is pushing trade policies and agreements that will
greatly restrict access to affordable medicines for people in developing
countries.  If you continue to pursue your actions, people who rely on these
medicines to stay alive will be left without a lifeline and many are likely to
die.

I urge you therefore to take the following actions immediately:
•       Stop pushing for provisions in free trade agreements that will turn off
the tap on production of affordable generic medicines.
•       Stop detaining generic medicines that are in transit through Europe on
their way to patients in developing countries by amending the EC customs
regulations now.
•       Stop pushing for restrictions on production and supply of generic
medicines through anti-counterfeiting policies like ACTA, the secretive
international anti-counterfeiting trade agreement.

For those who desperately need these affordable, life-saving medicines all over
the developing world, I ask that you reverse your positions and commit to
supporting access to medicines for all.
https://action.msf.org/

--
Mai DO