[afro-nets] NGOs and health systems strengthening (or weakening) (2)

There is room for reflection in this message.

I appreciate the concern of Medicus Mundi International that raised this
sensitive point.

I would suggest to them to broaden their discussion when they'll meet in
Amsterdam. A 'new' aspect of health care delivery in many poor countries is the
role played by the *Private* *sector*. It is widespread, day by day,rapidly. A
vivid example is here in Nyala where one can see plenty of private
doctors,local healers, private clinics,private hospitals,private
pharmacies,plenty of drugs and plumpynut....but still children do die from
malnutrition and common diseases . A drug for any illness is not the correct
approach,I think you agree.

We should be together to declare with one voice that : children under fives and
pregnant women should receive FREE SERVICE. Under any circumstances, by the
government clinics or by the non for profit clinics:always,always FREE!
including medical consultation and drugs prescribed. As it is for vaccination.

Dr. Massimo Serventi
Nyala Pediatric Centre
Italian Hospital
mailto:ser20@hotmail.it