[afro-nets] NGOs and health systems strengthening (or weakening)

What sounds to be obvious – nongovernmental organizations working in the field
of international health cooperation support and strengthen health systems – is
not taken for granted. NGOs, “if not careful and vigilant, can undermine the
public sector and even the health system as a whole, by diverting health
workers, managers and leaders into privatized operations that create parallel
structures to government and that tend to worsen the isolation of communities
from formal health systems (…)” This assessment is, at least, the starting
point of the “NGO Code of Conduct for Health Systems Strengthening” first
published in May 2008. The code intends to offer guidance on how international
non-governmental organizations can work in host countries in a way that
respects and supports the primacy of the government’s responsibility for
organizing health system delivery.

A matter of course? Well, you can test it yourself, right now, if you like: How
many of the following statements taken from the NGO code correspond with your
organization’s standard?

1.      “In areas where trained personnel are scarce, we will make every effort
to refrain from hiring health or managerial professional staff away from the
public sector, thus depleting ministries and their clinical operations of
talent and expertise.” (yes? no? not sure? not relevant for you?)
2.      “We commit to limiting pay and benefits inequity between expatriate and
national, rural and urban, and ministry and NGO workers. We encourage
compensation structures that provide incentives for rural service and disallow
gender-related disparities.” (yes? no? not sure? not relevant for you?)
3.      “We recognize that management capacity in Ministries of Health is often
limited. Rather than building parallel or circuitous structures around
inadequate capacity, we commit to strengthening governments’ ability to operate
effectively and efficiently.” (yes? no? not sure? not relevant for you?)
4.      “We strengthen the capacity of communities to take responsibility for
and ownership of their health development, and to become partners with
government in the health system, while holding governments accountable for
their human rights obligations.” (yes? no? not sure? not relevant for you?)
5.      “We actively advocate with civil society, local institutions and donors
for policies and programs that strengthen health systems overall.” (yes? no?
not sure? not relevant for you?)
6.      “We commit to designing their activities and programs so that they
reinforce primary health care, foster equity and community involvement, and are
generally replicable and financially sustainable over time.” (yes? no? not
sure? not relevant for you?)

So, are you happy with your score? 6 out of 6? Congratulations! But
nevertheless, you might be interested to further discuss the task of
contributing to building public health systems and doing no harm. The members
of the MMI Network members will meet on 5th November in Amsterdam in a workshop
on "Health systems strengthening", reflecting about the role of NGOs and of
their particular organization in health systems strengthening.

Join us, if you like!

Thomas Schwarz,
Medicus Mundi International Network