From: Warren Feek [mailto:wfeek@comminit.com]
Subject: Haiti: Much Strength, Support and Connections

Dear Drum Beat network participant,

On behalf of all connected with The Communication Initiative network, we wish
to express our support for and solidarity with the people of Haiti as they
struggle to overcome this massive disaster.

We have received some requests, and need your help. We also want to provide
some connections for people and organisations hoping to relate to organisations
in Haiti - when communications become possible. Plus, we all know from previous
times like this that spaces to communicate, debate, and struggle with the
meaning and implications of are vitally important. Consequently, we have
created these spaces through The CI and include links to these spaces here
below.

Now is, of course, a time for action and connection. But there will come an
appropriate moment when we can all reflect on the broader lessons from this
tragedy - possibly:

How it is not earthquakes that kill, but buildings. The quality of domestic,
commercial, and government buildings is directly related to poverty. Though the
international community seems to have responded very promptly and at scale to
the disaster, are those of us in that community also culpable here - due to the
complete inability to address, at scale, issues of poverty?

How we will all need to ensure that it is the people of Haiti who drive and
control the re-building of their country. Yep, we will all need to help as much
as we can, but effective reconstruction will need to be debated, discussed,
critically reviewed, and driven by Haitians. There will be an enormous
temptation after such a fundamental, huge disaster and such massive
international engagement, to continue making Haiti an international project. It
is not and should not be. It is the Haitian people's country. Our role is to
support them.

How we may all need to even more effectively communicate public-level and
agency-level strategies and knowledge about risk management and disaster
prevention and preparedness - where communication is crucial. The most recent
issue of the Son de Tambora focused on an initiative led by the IFRC - "The
Global Alliance for Disaster Risk Reduction (Alianza Global para la Reducción
del Riesgo de Desastres)" (in Spanish) at
http://www.comminit.com/es/node/308950/37 - is part of that process.

But those are questions for the future.

What can we contribute now?

1. We have had a request for any disaster management communication and media
guidelines or support materials in Creole or French. If you have them please
send us links or PDFs - anything.

2. If you wish to review, for possible use by your organisation, existing risk
management, disaster prevention, preparedness and management communication and
media materials in Spanish and English please see the featured materials on
these pages:

Global Home Page (English)
http://www.comminit.com/

América Latina (Spanish)
http://www.comminit.com/es/la

Risk Management (Gestión del Riesgo) Theme Site (Spanish)
http://www.comminit.com/es/mainpage/549

3. If you wish to try and directly relate to communication and media
organisations in or related to Haiti with which you and your organization
identify, please review the below lists and links. Within the summaries
included in the links below there will be contact people and their contact
information - though immediate communication could be very difficult, of course.

Haitian Programmes and Projects - Spanish
http://www.comminit.com/es/section5/37/37%2C10?op0=OR&filter0[]=301&op1=OR&op2=OR

* for example:  Centro Gheskio - Haití
http://www.comminit.com/es/node/43775/37

Haitian Programmes and Projects - English
http://www.comminit.com/en/section5/36/36%2C10?op0=OR&filter0[]=301&op1=OR&op2=OR

* for example: AlterPresse - Haiti
http://www.comminit.com/en/node/122210/306

Risk Management (Gestión del Riesgo) Theme Site (Spanish)
http://www.comminit.com/es/mainpage/549

4. Spaces to Discuss and Debate

Poll votes - http://www.comminit.com/en/mainpage/36
Forum debate - http://groups.comminit.com/node/308958
Blog Comments - http://www.comminit.com/en/node/308970/bbc
News Aggregation - http://ci.daylife.com/topic/haiti

Under the most urgent and difficult of circumstances and huge duress, the
local, national, and international development community is responding to the
tragedy in Haiti. I am sure that many people have views and opinions related to
this response. We have established four spaces for you to contribute and share
those views and ideas.

We do this with full knowledge that some people - those with many of the most
valid and insightful perspectives - doing the tough, up-front work in Haiti -
work that many of us can barely imagine - will not be able to contribute. We
establish these spaces so that others have the opportunity, in real time as
these issues unfold, to reflect and consider.

Learning from these events is vitally important and we hope that you will
contribute to that shared learning.

POLL and COMMENTS:
http://www.comminit.com/en/mainpage/36

How would you rate the international development community's response to the
tragedy in Haiti? Why? (Please add comments that explain your choice). The poll
is at http://www.comminit.com/en/mainpage/36 (This poll is available on all of
the CI Global website pages)

FORUM:
http://groups.comminit.com/node/308958

Haiti: Discuss Description: A space for people involved in local, national and
international development, including communication and media, to share thoughts
on development in Haiti at http://groups.comminit.com/node/308958

To Join this fourm please go to the group at
http://groups.comminit.com/node/308958 and click on Join in the right margin.
You will need to log in. If you are not yet registered on The CI site you will
need to register [see top right].

POLICY BLOG:
http://www.comminit.com/en/node/308970/bbc

This note appears as blog at http://www.comminit.com/en/node/308970/bbc Please
use the comments facility to share and debate your perspectives, views, and
ideas.

NEWS
http://ci.daylife.com/topic/haiti

You can see an agregation of the most recent news, photos, quotes, socal media
and trend lines related to Haiti drawing from a thousands of news processes
from around the world at a prototype Haiti News page at
http://ci.daylife.com/topic/haiti don with our Partners and friends at Daylife.

Many thanks. This all feels somewhat inadequate in the face of such a huge
disaster and challenge, but what will make the difference, we hope, is the
complete tapestry of action; this is our very small part of that tapestry.

Thank you for engaging and much love and strength to all of our network friends
in Haiti and those working on the response - as is said in my native NZ land,
Kia Kaha e Kia Aroha (Much Strength and Much Love)!

Warren

--
Warren Feek
Executive Director