[afro-nets] Mapping, monitoring, and surveillance of neglected tropical diseases: towards a policy framework

Cross posted from: EQUIDAD@listserv.paho.org

Socioeconomic aspects of neglected tropical diseases - Mapping,  monitoring,
and surveillance of neglected tropical diseases: towards a policy  framework

MC Baker  a, E Mathieu  b, FM Fleming  c, M Deming  b, JD King d, A Garba e, JB
Koroma  f, Prof M Bockarie  g, A Kabore  h, DP Sankara  a, Prof DH Molyneux
ga<http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(09)61458-6/abstract#back-aff1%23back-aff1>RTI
 International, Washington, DC, USA

b<http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(09)61458-6/abstract#back-aff2%23back-aff2>Parasitic
 Diseases Branch, Division of Parasitic Diseases, Centers for Disease Control
and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA

c<http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(09)61458-6/abstract#back-aff3%23back-aff3>Schistosomiasis
 Control Initiative, Imperial College, London, UK

d<http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(09)61458-6/abstract#back-aff4%23back-aff4>The
 Carter Center, Atlanta, GA, USA

e<http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(09)61458-6/abstract#back-aff5%23back-aff5>NTD
 Control Program, RISEAL, Niamey, Niger

f<http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(09)61458-6/abstract#back-aff6%23back-aff6>National
 Onchocerciasis Neglected Tropical Diseases Control Program, Ministry of Health
and Sanitation, Freetown, Sierra Leone

g<http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(09)61458-6/abstract#back-aff7%23back-aff7>Liverpool
 School of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool, UK

h<http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(09)61458-6/abstract#back-aff8%23back-aff8>Liverpool
 Associates of Health, Liverpool, UK

The Lancet, Volume 375, Issue 9710, 16 January 2010

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(09)61458-6/abstract

“……As national programmes respond to the new opportunities presented for
scaling up preventive chemotherapy programmes for the coadministration of drugs
to targetlymphatic filariasis, onchocerciasis, schistosomiasis,
soil-transmitted helminthiasis, and trachoma, possible synergies between
existing disease-specific policies and protocols need to be examined.

In this report we compare present policies for mapping, monitoring, and
surveillance for these diseases, drawing attention to both the challenges and
opportunities for integration. …”

Socioeconomic aspects of neglected tropical diseases

Lesong Conteh a, Thomas Engels b, David H Molyneux c
a<http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(09)61422-7/abstract#back-aff1%23back-aff1>London
 School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK

b<http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(09)61422-7/abstract#back-aff2%23back-aff2>IBF
 International Consulting, Brussels, Belgium

c<http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(09)61422-7/abstract#back-aff3%23back-aff3>Liverpool
 School of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool, UK

The Lancet, Volume 375, Issue 9710,  16 January 2010

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(09)61422-7/abstract

“…….Although many examples of highly cost-effective interventions to control
neglected tropical diseases exist, our understanding of the full economic
effect that these diseases have on individuals, households, and nations needs
to be improved to target interventions more effectively and equitably. We
review data for the effect of neglected tropical diseases on a population's
health and economy.

We also present evidence on the costs, cost-effectiveness, and financing of
strategies to monitor, control, or reduce morbidity and mortality associated
with these diseases………..”

--
Ruggiero, Mrs. Ana Lucia (WDC)
mailto:ruglucia@paho.org