[afro-nets] Call for applications: Basics of Health Economics e-learning course in English

Cross-posted from [reprohealth]

Basics of Health Economics e-learning course in English

DURATION AND COURSE LOAD:  5 Weeks - 8 to 10 hours per week
DATES: 17 February - 24 March, 2010
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 14 February 2010
PARTICIPANTS: (Health) Professionals
REGIONS TARGETED: Global
COURSE FEE: $200
ORGANIZERS: The World Bank Institute
LANGUAGE: English only
General Course Contact: Jo Hindriks at jhindriks@worldbank.org

For more information please go to our website:
http://www.worldbank.org/wbi/healthandaids/elearning
Click on the "Basics of Health Economics" link to see more information and a
link to the application form.
The direct link to the application form is:
http://info.worldbank.org/etools/wbi_learning/sec/app_form.cfm?sch_id=HNP09-01-241

Some quotes of our past participants:
* "I really liked the learning experience.  I had expected that an online
course will be a passive learning experience, instead, it was interesting,
inspiring, with vibrant communication with other participants, the trainers
provided feedback, it was not passive at all!  I really wish I had been able to
keep up for the entire time.  (...) I am amazed at how incredibly well the
course used the advantages of technology."
* "I am about to write on the relevance and recommendations of a women's health
and economic empowerment initiative, and what I have learnt here will enable me
do it brilliantly!"
* "Thank you very much for this course. It has helped to solidify for me so
much of my daily work and made many concepts more clear.""You always led us to
think a bit more practical and more structured. I learned a lot and my thoughts
have been restructured in my head through this course. You provided us with
very good tools."

Background of the Course:
In every country (and in many sub-national structures such as states and
provinces), health economics plays, or should play, an important role in
critical policy and operational decisions.
These decisions include:
a.     The appropriate role of government, markets and the private sector in
the health sector;
b.     resource allocation and mobilization functions critical to addressing
equity and efficiency of public spending;
c.     resource transfer mechanisms to hospitals and health care providers and
the incentive systems that underlie them;
d.     organizational structures at the system level and the linkages between
the levels;
e.     organizational structures at the facility level;
f.     mechanisms to change behaviors of the population at large and health
system providers in order to achieve better health.
Health economists can contribute to better decision-making. Long term capacity
building efforts, through degree programs in universities, should develop the
human capital needed in health economics to address needs. But short- and
medium-term needs cannot be met through deeper human capital investments
through universities.  Furthermore, health economists, even when they exist and
are well trained, are not always part of decision-making structures in
ministries of health.  A clear gap exists for training and empowering, policy
and operational decision makers on how health economics can contribute to
strengthening the effectiveness of health systems by efficiently and equitably
addressing the needs of the population.

Objectives
1.  Expose participants to potential contribution of health economics to
decision making in the health sector. At the end of the course participants can:
a.     Use the economic rationale arguments to determine what government should
or should not do;
b.     apply economics to improve allocative efficiency in the health sector;
c.     analyze economic arguments to help improve technical efficiency in the
health sector;
d.     explain how economics can help improve equity in the health sector.
2.   Introduce participants to the language of economics and health sector
reform so they can be more effective communicators when working with
theMinistry of Finance.  By the end of the course participants can:
a.     Correctly use the tools on market failures to justify the role of the
public sector;
b.     apply the different dimensions of efficiency to ensure a larger return
to investments in the health sector.

Course Structure:
The course consists of ten modules, divided in three clusters.
Cluster 1 asks the question - "Why Health Economics?" It attempts to answer
this question by introducing the concepts of Equity (module 1) and Efficiency
(module 2).
Cluster 2 delves into what markets are and how they are different in the Health
Sector.  Modules 4-7 deal with the concepts of markets, supply and demand, and
reasons why market would not function well in the health sector.
Cluster 3 then asks - "Who pays for what?"  Modules 8-10 are concerned with
health financing mechanisms (Module 8), health insurance (Module 9), and
funding and remuneration in the health sector (Module 10).

Course Format
The course will be fully web-based. Given the need for "just in time" training,
the course will be self-paced, with exercises, examples, case studies and
self-tests.  The students will be organized in time-bound cohorts that allow
students to interact with other students through a discussion forum. The
working language of the course will be English.
Since this is an e-learning course there will be no travel involved.  We
require that you be able to set aside 8 to 10 hours per week to devote to the
training.
The course targets non-health economists that contribute to the policy and
operational decision making in the health sector.  These would include:
a.     Ministry of Health (MOH) staff at the policy and operational decision
making levels in central and decentralized units;
b.     Ministry of Planning staff working on the health sector;
c.     Ministry of Finance staff working on the health sector;
d.     academicians and technical consultants that support the above three
groups;
e.     civil society advocates that manage or support policy dialogue and
monitoring in the health sector;
f.     journalists that cover the health sector;
g.     international organizations staff that work on the health sector.

Applications
On behalf of the course organizers, we take great pleasure in inviting you, or
a member of your staff, to participate in this event. Please feel free to
forward this announcement to anyone you think might be interested to
participate or nominate a participant.
We would also like to invite you to nominate participants from countries you
work with.  We are particularly interested in receiving nominations from the
country PRSP teams, Ministries of Health, Finance/Planning,
Women's Affairs, Parliament, etc, as well as NGOs, private sector
organizations, the donor community and others working in this field.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 14 February 2010
Please apply online for this offering at:
http://info.worldbank.org/etools/wbi_learning/sec/app_form.cfm?sch_id=HNP09-01-241

Nota Bene:!!!! Make sure you copy the entire URL, starting from "http" to
"=HNP09-01-241" Some email clients insert linebreaks which will cause the above
link to malfunction.  Just copy and paste everything into your browser's
address bar to remedy this situation. If you still have problems locating the
electronic application form, please send an email to jhindriks@worldbank.org.
Upon acceptance you will receive information how to log on to the course.

Fees
The fee for this course is $200.

For any other information, please contact:
Jo Hindriks
mailto:jhindriks@worldbank.org