[afro-nets] U.S. AIDS chief sees new goals in global battle: New AIDS focus will be on sustained healthcare programs

Cross-posted from: "[health-vn discussion group]" health-vn@anu.edu.au

  INTERVIEW-U.S. AIDS chief sees new goals in global battle

* New AIDS focus will be on sustained healthcare programs

* Governments, not NGOs, seen as main beneficiaries

* AIDS drug treatment will expand but more slowly

WASHINGTON, Jan 5 (Reuters) - The United States is retooling its global
multibillion-dollar fight against HIV/AIDS to transform healthcare in some of
the world's poorest countries, the U.S. AIDS chief said on Tuesday.

Eric Goosby, who President Barack Obama named last year to take over the Bush
administration's signature foreign aid initiative, said U.S. AIDS relief
efforts must change to face a broader health crisis stretching decades into the
future.

"We've created a very good start at what was an emergency response. We now need
to move that emergency response into a sustained response," Goosby said in an
interview.

"It's a harder lift, it's not as flashy, it's not as rapid in our ability to
deploy and put in place. But it is more durable."

Former President George W. Bush launched the President's Emergency Plan for
AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) in 2003, pledging an initial $15 billion to fight AIDS
around the world.

In 2008, the Democratic-controlled Congress authorized an additional $48
billion to fight AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria, and PEPFAR now operates in
some 87 countries around the world, most of them in Africa but also including
China and Russia.

Goosby, who has launched a new five-year strategy for PEPFAR, said it was time
to address underlying healthcare problems in AIDS-hit countries -- a huge
expansion of program goals -- even though the immediate crisis was far from
over.

"We are still responding to an emergency in no uncertain terms. It is still
killing millions of people," Goosby said.

The AIDS virus infects 33 million people globally and about a million in the
United States, but more people are living longer thanks to HIV drugs -- many of
them supplied through PEPFAR programs, according to a recent U.N. report.

Still, more than half the people who need life-saving drugs are not getting
them, the World Health Organization and Joint U.N. Program on HIV/AIDS say.

BOLSTERING GOVERNMENT RESPONSE

Despite treatment successes, Goosby said in many target countries medical
systems cannot cope with the long-term burden of AIDS and other diseases,
requiring new strategies to bolster healthcare programs now often run by
nongovernmental organizations (NGOs).

"They are there, they are connected, but they are as ephemeral as our funding
line from year to year," Goosby said of some of the existing programs.

The next step, Goosby said, will be to emphasize national health ministries and
provincial health departments, using U.S. funds to equip and train local health
workers to take up more of the healthcare burden.

Services such as anti-retroviral treatment, which often are administered by
NGO-run centers or provincial hospitals, must be spread throughout national
medical systems stretching down to village-level clinics, he said.

"There is now a very small amount of money going from the U.S. government to
ministries of health, and that will undoubtedly increase once that transparency
and accountability is in place and ensured," he said.

Goosby said this would mean PEPFAR would act more as a technical advisor rather
than a purveyor of drugs -- although there are plans to get anti-retroviral
drugs to 1.6 million more people over the next five years on top of the 2.4
million already receiving treatment thanks to the program.

Some critics have voiced fears that the changes will undercut one of the most
successful public health initiatives ever launched, and one to which the United
States has already committed more than $25 billion.

Altogether, PEPFAR is credited with helping to cut AIDS deaths by 10 percent in
targeted African countries and saving more than a million lives, largely
through supplying the anti-retroviral (ARV) drugs that can slow but not cure
the disease.

Goosby said that overall the Obama administration's commitment to global health
projects was strong, although he conceded that tight economic times meant
"we'll be arguing to address the unmet need every year in our budget
discussions."

The fiscal year 2010 budget for PEPFAR includes $5.5 billion going directly to
target countries for AIDS relief, up $61 million from 2009, and $1.05 billion
for the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, another major AIDS
funding agency, up $50 million from the year before.

--
Vern Weitzel
mailto:vern.weitzel@gmail.com