[afro-nets] Wellcome Trust initiative on Strengthening Research Capacity in Africa

Research capacity in Africa

The Wellcome Trust is launching a new initiative to strengthen institutional
research capacity in Africa.

This initiative aims to build a critical mass of sustainable capacity in Africa
through strengthening research in African universities and institutes. The
Wellcome Trust will provide funding to support the creation of consortia
between higher education institutes and research institutes located within
Africa (south-south links), and with institutions based in the UK, or in other
countries with a developed market economy (north-south links) with the aim of
enhancing institutional capacity to undertake research.

We expect the consortia to be Africa-led and to include a mix of African
institutions with well-established research activities, as well as promising
African institutions that are developing their research potential. The centre
of gravity for funding will be based in the host African institutions and the
awards will be made over a ten year period, to be reviewed after the first five
years.

A priority of the awards will be to develop research leaders so that they can
act as beacons and role models to enthuse young scientists to develop research
careers. At the same time, we also aim to support and strengthen institutional
capacity in financial management, training and to build career pathways for the
best and brightest researchers.

 For more information please see our website
http://svc024.wic454dp.server-web.com/plugins/bulletin/trackhit.asp?SendID=104&RecipientEmail=info@afronets.org&Link=http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/node2292.html>
  or email us at mailto:globalhealth@wellcome.ac.uk. Preliminary applications
should be addressed to Jimmy Whitworth by 14 February 2008.

The
http://svc024.wic454dp.server-web.com/plugins/bulletin/trackhit.asp?SendID=104&RecipientEmail=info@afronets.org&Link=http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/>
Wellcome Trust is a charity registered in England, no. 210183.
Its sole trustee is The Wellcome Trust Limited, a company registered in
England, no. 2711000, whose registered office is at 215 Euston Road, London NW1
2BE, UK.

<http://svc024.wic454dp.server-web.com/plugins/bulletin/trackhit.asp?SendID=104&RecipientEmail=info@afronets.org>

--
Pamela Scorza