[afro-nets] Is elimination of malaria in Africa by 2010 unrealistic? (14)

Is elimination of malaria in Africa by 2010 unrealistic? (14)

Dear Colleagues,

A new tool has just been produced for malaria diagnostic (See
http://www.partec.de/partec/news.html).

I think this new Fluorescence microscope could also be a determining tool in
the struggle towards malaria elimination. My very optimistic point of view is
that affordable rapid diagnosis and efficient vector control are complementary
to therapy.

Just imagine if such a test is affordable and optimally used for massive
malaria screening in schools. Symptomatic and asymptomatic cases could be
rapidly detected and treated. If vector control measures could be concomitantly
undertaken, what else would we have to do?

Of course the problem remains that we still have a lot of IFs.

Yours sincerely

Dr. Leopold. G. Lehman
University of Douala - Fac Sciences - BOA
B.P. 2326 Douala - Cameroun
Tel + (237) 343 89 58
Fax + (237) 342 76 12
Mobile + (237) 765 41 89