[afro-nets] Re-engineering food aid in Zimbabwe through vouchers (5)

Re-engineering food aid in Zimbabwe through vouchers (5)

giving money rather than food or other kinds of aid, I wanted to
point out that there are several projects now where this has
been done, with what appears to be good success.

You may want to have a look at the Humanitarian Practice Network
Paper entitled "Cash relief in a contested area: lessons from
Somalia", written by Degan Ali, Fanta Toure and Tilleke Kiewied.
It is HPN Network paper number 40, published March 2005. The HPN
website is http://www.odihpn.org

"The paper concludes that, even in areas of political instabil-
ity, cash relief can be an effective and viable alternative.
There can be no 'blueprint' for the use of cash across all emer-
gencies and in all circumstances. However, evidence is growing
to suggest that, where circumstances are amenable, there is
scope for increasing the use of cash as an instrument in humani-
tarian response." (From HPN website)

Several other papers discuss the idea of distributing cash
rather than aid, or outline projects where this has been done,
but I don't have details handy at the moment. I will look for
them and post them later, if anyone is interested.

Regards,

Rosemary Cairns
Uzice, Serbia (currently in Victoria BC Canada)
mailto:rosemary.1cairns@Community.RoyalRoads.ca