[afro-nets] Is the NGO good or bad? Who knows? (2)

Is the NGO good or bad? Who knows? (2)
--------------------------------------

Dear Peter Burgess,

Thank you for your mail about NGOs concentrating on raising
funds than concentrating on service delivery. The answer is very
simple, if you have ever run a NGO in Africa or East Asia you
would not make such a misleading statement. How would you expect
a NGO to deliver services without funds? How would you meet the
logistic needs for the NGO in the process of service delivery? I
can mention a few items here:-
a. Transport in service delivery
b. Communication
c. Salaries
d. Rent
e. Allowances
f. Training Materials in case of HIV/AIDS prevention campaigns
g. Stationery... and the list is endless.

What mechanism have you used to find out that NGOs are not de-
livering services? If NGOs cannot raise funds why does Afri-Fund
exist? I think you desire to be sacked. True there are NGOs who
have mismanaged donor funds but this equally appears in western
world. We have read of a lot of financial scandals involving
billions of US Dollars in western countries. Similarly, I have
worked with various whites in different projects and agencies,
whites donate money but eventually this money goes back in dubi-
ous ways.

Albert Kunihira
Country Director & Peace Ambassador
The Africa Youth Ministries Uganda