[afro-nets] A Practical Plan to Achieve the MDGs (2)

A Practical Plan to Achieve the Millennium Development Goals (2)

Thank you for the development article. I am just wondering what
the price of development will be? Africa is the continent that
now has the greatest percentage of untapped resources. However,
at what cost will development take place? I think that develop-
ment is very important but once it takes place will the country
retain ownership of their own industries? Take for instance Pa-
nama and the Canal Zone. The US controlled the Canal Zone for 99
years. The US and foreign investors figured that is should take
that long for them to recover the money that they invested. How-
ever, this really left most Panamanians in a destitute situa-
tion. The area around the Canal Zone was prosperous but the rest
of the country was destitute.

Therefore Jeffrey Sachs' proposal is wonderful, but needs to
speak to the real technical issues of who will own what and how
the "host" country being developed will benefit from "first
world" development projects. There is a great deal of gentrifi-
cation going on in South Africa. I'm not sure if gentrification
and displacement should be synonymous with development? Jeff
Sachs however, does do a great deal of good.

D B Williams
mailto:WWERIC@aol.com

--
[From the Moderator:
To download the report chapter by chapter go to: