[afro-nets] New book highlights the plight of more than a million Ugandans

New book highlights the plight of more than a million Ugandans

Michael, aged 25, was abducted by Lord's Resistance Army rebels
in northern Uganda. His captors beat him on the head with rifle-
butts when he was no longer able to carry their loot and left
him for dead. Government soldiers found him a week later. "Ter-
mites had started eating me alive," he recalls. "They had begun
building an anthill on my body."

Michael's is one of many personal testimonies published in "When
the sun sets, we start to worry...", a book launched on Thursday
by the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs in
conjunction with its Integrated Regional Information Networks.
Using personal accounts and powerful black-and-white photo-
graphs, "When the Sun Sets, We Start to Worry..." aims to draw
attention to the plight of more than a million Ugandan children,
women and men whose present existence encompasses a degree of
misery and horror seldom seen elsewhere.

An electronic version of the book is available as Adobe PDF file
(70 pp. 2.3 MB) at:
http://www.irinnews.org/webspecials/NorthernUganda/Northern-Uganda.pdf