AFRO-NETS> RFI: World Bank Policies on Health in Third World Communities

RFI: World Bank Policies on Health in Third World Communities

It just occurred that AFRO-NETS might be able to head me in the
right direction with this question I have. If it isn't, please,
simply trash this e-mail! I fear that I might be barking up the
wrong tree.

I am a public health nurse, currently living in Cleveland, Ohio.
I am finishing up my last year of course work to receive my MPH
with a focus on international health from Case Western Reserve
University.

At the moment I am trying to plan my Capstone Project (my the-
sis). I have spent quite some time looking at the effect of World
Bank policies on health in third world communities. For my Cap-
stone, I would like to examine this issue from the eyes of a spe-
cific community, township, refugee camp, clinic, health policy or
the like. In other words, I would like to examine this issue from
the bottom up, instead as from the top down.

For instance, one idea that I have is to look at how the World
Bank uses their Daily Adjusted Life Years (DALYs) mathematical
equation to justify their funding (or stopping funding) for
health care initiatives all over the globe. This mathematical ba-
sis for health care funding has been both praised for its logic,
and equally criticised for its insaneness. [Can quality of life
be measured numerically? How are cultural differences taken into
account of what constitutes a "good life"? What is the socio-
cultural impact of having disabled people be entitled to fewer
health resources...?]

I wonder if I could find specific communities or health care ini-
tiatives that were cut because they did not meet the World Bank's
DALY/"cost-effective" criteria -- and then examine the repercus-
sions of such cost cutting from a local perspective.

I am sure there are many other ways for me to examine how funding
from the developed world (World Bank, IMF, USAID...) directly de-
termines, not to mention, directly undermines public health out-
comes. [Such as through the issue of water privatization.]

Grasping the broad topics of water privatization, or World Bank
financing of global health initiatives is not difficult. The
challenge for me is in finding specific "community(ies)" (that
would be accessible to me at some point) that I could use to il-
lustrate the affects of globalisation on a very local level.

I would appreciate any advice you have on where I should turn for
help with this issue. And if you cannot help me at all, I of
course, understand that as well.

Yours very truly,

Maria Applewhite
3027 Warrington Road