AFRO-NETS> WHO Director-General: Declaration of Global Health Emergency

WHO Director-General: Declaration of Global Health Emergency

From: J.W.Lee
Sent: Monday, 22 September 2003 18:19
Subject: Message from the Director-General

Today, WHO is declaring the failure to deliver AIDS medicines to
those who need them a global health emergency. I am making this an-
nouncement, along with UNAIDS and the Global Fund, in New York, at a
press conference and at a roundtable at the UN General Assembly meet-
ing on HIV/AIDS.

We have decided to take this rare measure after evaluating the global
situation and finding that only 5% of those in the developing world
who require antiretrovirals are getting them. Of 5-6 million people
in need, just 300,000 are on ARVs. In sub-Saharan Africa, for exam-
ple, only 50,000 people, of 4.1 million who require ARVs, actually
have access. To address this global health emergency, WHO will take
all necessary measures to achieve the "3 by 5" target - putting three
million people on antiretrovirals by the end of 2005.

In the immediate term, staff across WHO and UNAIDS are working in
several areas. These include providing emergency response teams to
countries which request them; developing simple treatment guidelines;
building a global AIDS Drugs and Diagnostics Facility; developing
rapid training for health workers, developing uniform standards and
simplified tools to track the progress and impact of ARV treatment
programmes; and, assessing the amount of money need to deliver the "3
by 5" commitment.

To implement the "3 by 5", we can take many lessons learned in other
WHO programmes, including TB, polio, our response to SARS and other
emergencies. "3 by 5" is an ambitious target, with a long-term goal
of universal access to ARVs. We are now working on a detailed "3 by
5" strategy, which will be ready by 1 December 2003, World AIDS Day.
I would ask you all to give this important new work your full sup-
port.

Lee Jong-wook
WHO Director-General